Full course description
Creating Accessible Online Courses provides an overview of accessibility within online courses, focusing on the skills you will need to make your course both technically accessible and usable to a broad range of students. The course covers how to use online tools, including your course management system (CMS), to create accessible resources, to retrofit existing resources, and to curate new resources. The focal point of the course is learning how to use editors (both in your CMS and in common software, such as Microsoft Word) to enhance accessibility.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Apply Universal Design concepts to the planning and design of your online course;
- Define accessibility and apply pertinent Federal, State, and District requirements to the planning and design of your online course;
- Identify barriers to access that impede student success;
- List campus resources available to assist you and your students with accessibility issues;
- Create accessible content within your CMS;
- Create accessible documents using Word, Google docs, PowerPoint, and/or PDF;
- Caption video;
- Check curated resources for accessibility using online tools.
This course is part of the Online Course Design Certificate, and fulfills Section D: Accessibility. Participants who successfully complete this course will earn their Section D badge.
Duration: 4 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. To get the most from this course, you should have some familiarity with online teaching and with Canvas, and already have an existing Canvas course (or the start of a course). For those who have never taught online, it is highly recommended you take Introduction to Course Design and Introduction to Canvas before beginning this course.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1717 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee due to FPU will apply.