Full course description
Whether you're building your first online course or revising an existing one, this 12-week facilitated asynchronous series will show you how to create the course you've always dreamed of teaching. You'll explore online learning theory, approaches to online course design, and strategies for supporting student success from within the structure of the four sections of the Online Education Initiative's Course Design Rubric:
- Course Design
The learn-by-doing focus will have you building a powerful sample course in Canvas Sandbox, which you can then use as your own personal course creation blueprint. Fast-paced and innovative, this course is perfect for instructors new to Canvas and/or new to online teaching, while also providing innovative ideas for enhancing existing courses.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- develop a comprehensive course plan for a fully online or hybrid course
- use the core features of the Canvas course managements system to design an online or hybrid course
- develop an introductory orientation module
- develop a learning unit with clear objectives aligned to the course outcomes
- design accessible course content
- integrate Open Educational Resources and other material curated from the internet to support student learning
- design formative and summative assessments to support and measure student learning
- use a variety of communication tools, both within and external to Canvas, to support student success
Successful completion of this course leads to an Online Teaching & Design Certificate. Completion of this course is equivalent to completing Introduction to Course Design, 10-10-10: Communication that Matters, Assessment in Digital Learning, Creating Accessible Course Content, and the Course Design Capstone.
Duration: 12 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 120 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. If this is your first time designing an online course, or your first time using Canvas, we strongly suggest you begin with Introduction to Teaching with Canvas.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional graduate-level university credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1821 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee due to FPU will apply.
Your facilitators are:
Greg Beyrer, Cosumnes River College
Ken Cooper, Los Rios Community College District