Full course description
Note: This course is intended for Alternate Media Specialists who directly support students in alternate media production.
Alternate Media Specialists will learn basic concepts and processes to streamline alternate media production for preparing PDFs. For PDF production, Adobe Acrobat will be used for PDF editing and ABBYY FineReader 14 to OCR. Users can also use Omnipage 18 instead of ABBYY FineReader 14 for assignments where that software is required. Participants will learn about various PDF types, OCR, determine workflow based on PDF quality, and export the file into a searchable PDF, EPUB file, Kurzweil file, Microsoft Word Document, and briefly discuss PDF accessibility. There is an optional section on scanning print material into PDF format.
Participants will be able to:
- Assess the quality of a PDF
- Apply expert techniques to reformat and produce high-quality PDFs that can be used to generate other alt media formats/outputs
- Utilize Adobe Acrobats tools to prepare PDF files for alternate media conversion
- Use ABBYY FineReader 14 or Omnipage 18 to OCR a PDF
- Define some essential hardware and software for alternate media conversion
- Identify and create a file name structure for alternate media files including PDFs, Word Documents, ePubs, and Kurzweil files
- Produce student-ready formats