Assessment in Digital Learning (23SU-ADL-1)
Jul 8, 2023 - Aug 5, 2023
Spots remaining: 0
Sorry! The wait list limit has been met. Please check back soon for new sessions.
Full course description
This course explores and applies the concept of assessment as a design tool that allows you to build a course centered around equitable student learning. In this course, we’ll explore a design process called the assessment loop, looking at the ways clear learning outcomes, thoughtfully designed assessments, and analysis of assessment results can help you engage your students and build a better course. The course covers developing assessment rubrics using the Canvas tool, writing clear unit-level learning goals, aligning assessments to learning goals, developing authentic summative assessments, assessment rubrics, and developing formative assessments that provide rich and meaningful feedback for students. In addition, explore various assignment options in Canvas, and develop an overarching plan for using assessments in digital learning environments.
To successfully complete this course, participants will:
- Create assessments aligned to the OEI Course Design Rubric
- Develop demonstrable learning outcomes in student-centered language
- Design a variety of valid and authentic formative and summative assessments aligned with the course outcomes;
- Design student self-assessments;
- Write clear and detailed assessment instructions;
- Create clear descriptive rubrics that support desired outcomes;
- Develop an assessment plan for one unit of your course that supports regular assessment with timely, meaningful feedback.
This course is part of the Online Teaching & Design Certificate, and fulfills Section C: Assessment.
Duration: 4 Weeks, facilitated asynchronous
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. To get the most from this course, you should have some familiarity with online teaching and with Canvas. For those who have never taught online, it is highly recommended you take Introduction to Course Design and Introduction to Canvas before beginning this course.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional graduate-level university credits by dual-enrolling. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit FPU CEU Information