Full course description
Engaging live sessions in online classes don’t just happen. They’re intentionally designed! By the completion of the course, you will demonstrate your ability to schedule, conduct, archive, and share a live session. You will also develop inclusive community norms, a learning pact, and a lesson plan for a live session that uses effective instructional skills to support the diverse needs of community college students. You will achieve these goals by asynchronously engaging with content and completing formative assessments in Canvas, as well as attending synchronous sessions in Zoom that scaffold your learning.
Required Live Sessions (please check your availability before registering for this class):
Tues, 8/15 3-4pm PT
Fri, 8/18 11am-12pm PT
Tues, 8/22 3-4pm PT
Fri, 8/25 11am-12pm PT
By the successful completion of this course, faculty will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to design live online instructional sessions that support community college students through active learning.
- Use recordings of live instructional sessions in compliance with student privacy, accessibility, and interaction requirements and legal recommendations.
- Develop course materials that foster inclusion for all students.
This is an introductory course designed for faculty who are new to synchronous online teaching. Though it does not fulfill a requirement for any @ONE certificates, it's an important starting point, and may be required by your campus.
More about this course:
Duration: 2 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week (20 hours total)
Level of Difficulty: Beginning
Required skills: Participants are expected to possess basic computer skills including the ability to:
- use Canvas and Zoom applications
- download and install computer applications,
- use a web browser to navigate multiple webpages,
- copy and paste links,
- and upload digital files.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional graduate-level university credits by dual-enrolling through Fresno Pacific University (Links to an external site.). A separate fee due to FPU will apply.